When is club volleyball season?
Club season starts with tryouts in August for our high school aged athletes followed by tryouts for 14’s and younger in October and the start of 14’s and younger practices November 1st and 15’s and older practices December 1st. The bulk of the competitive season runs January through the early June. If a team qualifies for the Girls’ Junior National Championships or attends another end-of-season tournament such as Volleyball Festival, AAU’s, or the Summer Soiree in Anaheim their season will end in late June/early July.
How many times a week do you practice?
Teams will practice an average of three times per week and a minimum of twice per week depending on tournament and travel schedules. Athletes will also be training and competing on the sand 2-4 times per month in addition to our indoor practice sessions.
Where and how often are tournaments?
Teams will play an average of two tournaments per month. Mandatory tournaments are often held in Orange County including at our home gym the Ladera Sports Center whenever possible along with the American Sports Center in Anaheim but occasionally they are hosted elsewhere, rarely more than an hour away. One Mandatory tournament for most age groups is held in the San Diego area. All of our top teams in each age group 13’s and older will travel to one out of state Junior National Qualifier Tournament during the season which are three day tournaments that qualify teams for the Junior National Championships.
What does it cost to play for Prime VC?
Club dues for the upcoming season will vary by team. For ADIDAS level high school teams fees will be $4800. That fee includes college recruiting services, Volleymetrics video feedback, and our Prime Mentality Program. Club fees for all other high school level teams along with all 13’s and 14’s teams will be $4600. 11’s and 12’s team fees will be $3800 for the season. There is a $100 discount if fees are paid in full at the start of the season. Each athlete’s club dues cover costs associated with their USA Volleyball membership, tournament entry fees, gym rental fees, coaching stipends, uniforms, our Prime Mentality Program, our strength and conditioning program, and team equipment. Any fees associated with travel (i.e. transportation, hotels, meals, etc) are not included in the athlete’s club dues and will be billed separately and according to cost per trip. We do offer need based scholarships to ensure that any athlete who wants to be a part of Prime Volleyball Club has that opportunity. To inquire about scholarships contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What makes Prime VC different from other clubs?
Prime Volleyball Club is committed to providing the best possible club volleyball experience for our athletes and families. Here is what you can expect from us:
- A complete website that will include online tryout and camp registration, online payment for all club and travel fees, current and detailed team rosters, coaches bios and team assignments early in the fall, team news, recruiting information and guidelines, photos and videos of our teams and athletes, interactive maps of all training sites, all club information, philosophy and more!
- We will have an online store where parents can buy all kinds of club apparel and merchandise for themselves or extra gear and equipment for the athletes
- Club documents such as athlete and parent handbooks and contracts, Team Parent guidelines and expectations, chaperone guidelines etc
- Team schedules including travel tournaments/qualifiers will be set and published previous to tryouts
- Every team has a head and assistant coach or two
- We have a phenomenal group of experienced head coaches that we can confidently say are the best coaching staff in the region and quite possibly the nation, many with collegiate coaching experience
- Many of our assistant coaches are athletes from local college programs who serve as great role models and mentors
- Prime Volleyball Club does not tolerate coaches who demean or intimidate players as a means of motivation
- Ron Larsen, current Resident Coach with USA Men’s Volleyball, Assistant Women’s Coach at Concordia University and former Assistant Coach with the USA Men’s Olympic Team serves as our Director of Training and Coaches’ Development and educates our experienced staff even further and makes sure that we’re always improving as coaches and teaching skills with the same points of emphasis across all of our teams
- We are lucky to have a staff of coaches who are extremely well connected with numerous college volleyball coaches and programs across the country and have mentored thousands of athletes who have gone on to have very successful college and professional volleyball careers. These coaches help our Prime VC athletes reach their goals of a college volleyball career
- We include beach volleyball training as an important part of our program and have numerous beach practice sessions and club beach tournaments throughout the season. Scholarships are now being offered for beach volleyball as a collegiate sport so we want to train our athletes to compete on the sand so that they can pursue that opportunity if they desire
What can my daughter expect in terms of playing time?
Prime VC does not offer any guarantee of playing time to any athlete. Our purpose is to compete and be successful at the highest levels locally and nationally. While our coaches will do their best to get all team members on the court to get valuable competitive experience, our coaches’ priority at tournaments is making decisions that are in the best interest of the team as a whole and its success. Playing time is determined by many factors, including overall skill level, attitude, attendance, respect for coaches and teammates, hustle, and match dynamics. Many coaches will also utilize practice and match statistics to help make playing time decisions. All athletes will have equal opportunity to play, compete, learn, and improve during all practice sessions, assuming their attendance at practices is consistent.
How many players are on a team?
The number of players on the official team roster is determined by the coaching staff of each team and is typically between 10-12 players. Rosters with 12 athletes allow for better training opportunities during practice sessions as it allows our teams to play 6 on 6 volleyball to best prepare for competition.
What happens if my daughter doesn’t make a Prime VC team?
Skills can change significantly from year to year. Not making a team this year doesn’t preclude any athlete from trying out for a Prime VC team the following year. Similarly, if an athlete chooses to play for a different club they are always able to come tryout the following year and would be welcomed back to the club.
Will Prime allow an athlete to “play up” an age group?
Yes. This is determined primarily by the athlete’s skill level. Additionally, an athlete may be asked to play up an age group based on a team’s needs. If approached by the club coach recommending the athlete play up an age group, the athlete and her family will make the final decision if it is the best fit for them.